Friday, July 10, 2009

Gee

(I'll update this with a link to YouTube when I can...I hate Chinese censorship...But for now, you can search "Gee - Girls Generation" on YouTube if you don't know what I'm talking about)

From my suitemate's room.

I avoided starting a Korean or Japanese drama series before I left for China, thinking I should spend my time watching a Chinese one instead, both for comprehension practice and to maybe find something to talk about with my future roommate. Well, as it turns out, the Chinese girl next door loves Korean dramas (actually, a lot of China does. A ton of Korean dramas are dubbed/subtitled and played on Chinese TV). Dang.

And the girl in the coffee shop loving Naruto? I'm so glad I can relate. But who would have thought? And on a side note, I think Chinese anime fans are way more hardcore than American ones. From what I can decipher of Chinese Naruto fanpages, fans write essays - weekly - to theorize about plot, character development, and the Naruto-universe. I wish my reading ability was high enough to understand their theories. I'm sure it would be fascinating.

I feel like I should have more insightful thoughts about this intersection of cultures, but it is Saturday and I plan to exercise my brain as little as possible. I also feel like living much of my time in Chinese has made my English far less articulate than usual...so I apologize for the overuse of the word "amazing" in the last post.

I have no roommate, and I'm not entirely sure what I should do today (this weekend we're subsidized to do activities with our roommate). But. Whatever it is, it should probably include a lot of homework.

Also, I dreamed about rescuing a kitten and it was the best dream ever. That is all.

4 comments:

  1. SUCCESS! GEE IS MAD AWESOME! Tasia you must start on Coffee Prince! listen to some big bang( as if you haven't be ODed by that from prom LMFAO)

    i can't wait until you come back!!! I lolled for a million years at your last 2 sentences.

    LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tasia! Just wondering if your disappearing roommate is making you rethink your views on how important college roommates are (more important than me? Let's be real). Also, please stop writing about Naruto, can we have a Dragonball Z update instead? :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap! Danzo in the last chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee is sooo freakin' awesome. I'm in my KPOP phase, and snsd (girls' generation) is so freakin' hot.

    I've been listening to their new single - tell me your wish (genie) - like everyday.

    also yea, the chinese love korean dramas. though i must admit, i watched one korean drama - boys over flowers hahahaha..it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete